GRAMSAT – Orissa Computer Application Centre “OCAC” – Govt. of Orissa
Posted by egovindia on June 24, 2006
The objectives of GRAMSAT VSAT Network are to provide an Intranet Service for the Govt. of Orissa where the Departments would place their e-government applications and use the network as the carrier.
GRAMSAT network project in Orissa has 2 components i.e.
• Direct Reception System (DRS) Network
• Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) Network.
The objectives of GRAMSAT DRS Network :
• Interactive Training Programmes.
• Development of broadcasting during evening hours.
• Implementation of EDUSAT programs.
The objectives of the GRAMSAT VSAT Network :
• Development of Natural Resources Database for effective planning and management of Natural Resources.
• Development of Govt. MIS for e-governance in the identified major areas of the State Govt.
• Establishment of Information System for Disaster Warning, Relief & Rescue Operations and Post Disaster Operation & Reconstruction.
• Providing Right of Data Access to common public for development and social justice.
• Interactive training for skill development, technology transfer and dissemination of information for project management.
Present structure of GRAMSAT in Orissa
1.Direct Reception System (DRS) Network – It operates on INSAT-3B using extended C Band of EMR 4/6 GHz. Currently the programmes under DRS network are transmitted through Biju Patnaik Film & Television Institute of Orissa, Cuttack . The new studio is being constructed at the new building of Orissa Remote Sensing Application Centre (ORSAC), Bhubaneswar , the nodal agency for the GRAMSAT project. By end of this month this will be ready and the already procured studio equipments by ISRO will be installed.
2.Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) Network – It operates on INSAT-3A using Ku Band of EMR 11/14 GHz. Data transfer rate of a remote VSAT at Block / District end
• Uplink – Committed 8 Kbps Maximum 128 Kbps
• Download – Committed 32 Kbps Maximum 8 Mbps
• Data transfer rate at the Hub end ( New Delhi )
• Uplink – 8 Mbps
• Download – 128 Kbps
The Server Facility at ORSAC is connected with New Delhi Hub Centre with a 2 Mbps BSNL Leased Line and a back up satellite link.
Number of nodes and their locations
• DRS Network – Currently it is installed at 30 District hqs., 314 Block hqs., 1400 Gram Panchayat hqs. And 5 important locations in Bhubaneswar . By the year 2007, all the Gram Panchayat hqs. will be connected.
• VSAT Network – It is installed at 30 District hqs., 314 Block hqs. & 9 important Govt. offices of the State.
RF connectivity is provided from ORSAC to the State Secretariate, Heads of Departments Building , Directorate of Treasury, Chief Engineer 9Flood Control), Assembly Complex, Aranya Bhawan & Chief Secretary's residence.
GRAMSAT project funding – The GRAMSAT Project is jointly sponsored by Department of Space, Govt. of India (Rs.15.10 Crores), Ministry of Rural Development, Govt. of India (Rs.14.50 Crores) and Govt. of Orissa (10 Crores).
e-Government services being provided through GRAMSAT
• Panchayati Raj Department of Govt. of Orissa has placed Priasoft and Ruralsoft softwares developed by NIC for monitoring of various poverty alleviation schemes.
• Block hqs. and other Govt. offices are now communicating officially through e-mail and transacting their day-to-day governance. Around 70 to 80 GB of data is transacted over this network.
• On line transaction processing at the district and the block level for the day-to-day Govt. transactions of various projects under Panchayati Raj Department.
• Location details of projects under SGRY for providing food security to the rural poor through wage employment are being monitored ensuing proper distribution and its on-line status.
• It is helping the district authorities to use the National Resources Database of Orissa State.
Govt. of Orissa through Panchayati Raj Department has provided One Computer Operator (qualification – Computer graduates & post graduates) each in the 30 district DRDA offices as well as in the 314 block offices on contract basis to carry out the works under this project.